Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Women On Two Wheels

Driving in Gainesville frustrates me. No matter where I go there seem to be too many cars for to little roadway and too few parking spaces. As an alternative I started riding my bike more, and I love it. Except for my first week of work when I was still getting my bearings, I've ridden my bike to campus every day. Now I ride my bike almost everywhere I want to go since most places in town are so close to my apartment. Ever since I turned sixteen, my car has been a symbol of my independence. But now biking has given me a different sense of freedom that I really enjoy.

I had heard that there is an extensive network of trails in Gainesville too but wasn't sure how to access them.  This weekend my friend Marissa invited me on a ride of some local trails.  Her sister, Lauren organizes the Gainesville chapter of Velo Vixens, a biking group for women.  The group is particularly welcoming and supportive to beginners like me.

At 10:00 AM on Sunday, we met at Lauren's house, which is only 1.3 miles from my apartment.  Five of us with varying levels of experience rolled out across town with a sixth meeting us at a later leg.  I had so much fun riding trails though pine forests and grasses and even under I-75.  I had driven past a few of the parks before and had no idea the bike trails ran through them...right in the middle of town!  They are truly a hidden treasure that I was excited to discover.

Our 21.26 mile route!

Not so surprisingly to anyone familiar with my klutziness, I even got my first wreck out of the way. And in spectacular fashion none the less.  We came to a narrow bridge about four feet above a creek. I was a little nervous, but decided to go for it.  Halfway across the bridge I drifted to far to the side and couldn't recover.  Both my bike and myself ended up in the creek.  After I assured my fellow bikers that I was fine (aside from a few scrapes and a GNARLY bruise that later appeared on my side), they raved over what a badass wreck it was.  I had officially been initiated into the group.

The only thing left was to get back on my bike and keep peddling.  Later, I realized that subconsciously I never thought I was going to make it and ultimately resolved to fall before I even hit the bridge.  Having the confidence is the important part.  I need to trust my equipment and trust myself.  And maybe practice on the ramps at Lauren's house a little more. ;)

Scrapes, bruises, and all, it was a fantastic day.  I made some great friends, and I can't wait to ride with them again!

Our Crew Before Roll-out: Laura, Lauren, Sherry, Marissa, me, Christine, and Roo in front!
(Photo courtesy of Lauren Streifel)


No comments:

Post a Comment