Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Delightfully Peculiar Book

Last night I finished reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.  My mom sent it to me when she finished it and gave me little input other than it was a good read if a little weird.  I dove in with few expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Jacob, the protagonist, is a relatable sixteen-year-old filled with suburban angst.  During his childhood, his grandfather frequently tells curious stories accompanied by strange photographs.  But when Jacob grows older, he begins to question the validity of these stories until he finally asserts that they must be fairy tales. Shortly after, he witnesses the brutal murder of his grandfather, whose cryptic final words drive Jacob to seek the truth about his past.  A trail of clues leads Jacob to the home where his grandfather took refuge during World War II, and he discovers that maybe those outlandish yarns weren't so fictitious after all.

The most intriguing part of this book is the collection of black and white photographs scattered throughout the pages.  The photos were selected from private collectors who scavenge flea markets and antique stores, rescuing old unique images.  Most of them feature subjects with strange props and costumes or were manipulated with dark room tricks and optical allusions.  Others simply have an eerie allure.  The author actually wrote the novel around these pictures.  You might think this would make parts of the story feel forced, but they are incorporated seamlessly.

The back of the book jacket featuring a few of the pictures

I love this book, and I think it would offer something to almost anyone.  It's light but emotional at times, present with historical references, and believable with just enough science fiction peppered in to make it interesting.  I didn't want to reveal too much because I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great easy read.  If you pick it up, I would love to hear what you think of it!

I'm out of books here now.  I guess its time to start putting my new Gainesville library card to good use.  Let me know if you have any suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment