Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Quiet Path In a Bustling Campus

Of all the places that I've lived, Gainesville is probably the most densely populated.  It's hard to find a quiet place where I can be alone and think.  After a meeting on campus this afternoon, I had some time to kill before Wine, Wenches, and Wrenches. I didn't have enough time to run home, and almost went back to work for a while. Then I remembered a small trail on campus and decided to take a walk.  A boardwalk crosses a small marsh that UF built for storm water treatment.  Instead of simply digging a retention pond, this swamp is engineered to naturally remove pollutants.  Although its a short trail through the middle of campus, it's quiet and feels secluded.  It was perfect for a brief stroll on this warm afternoon.




Lately I've been stressed about making career decisions.  Some people find prayer helpful in these situations, but I've never found comfort trying to talk to a being that I don't really believe is listening. For me taking a walk in nature is more spiritual than sitting in a church will ever feel.  My walk didn't answer any questions and only lasted twenty minutes.  However, it helped calm my psyche.  I need to remember to escape more often, even if only for a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment