Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Zombie Jesus Day

For the second year in a row, I'm away from my family on Easter.  Last year I was in Puerto Rico, and now I'm in Florida. Since I'm not religious, Easter doesn't hold much spiritual weight for me.  Still, it's hard to be away from family on days like this.  I think part of growing up means starting your own traditions, even if they only stick for a year.

My day started watching the Chicago Blackhawks play the Detroit Red Wings in NBC's Game of the Week... ON TV!! For most games I have to listen to the WGN Radio online stream, and it always feels like a treat to watch the few national broadcasts.  My dad got me hooked on the sport before I can even remember. Watching and listening to hockey connects me to home like few things do.  I sat in my living room in my Blackhawks sweater watching Chicago score goal after goal after goal.... repeat that four more times! Final score: 7-1.

Later in the day, a few friends came over for a Rum Ham! I wanted an excuse to make this recipe by my favorite food blogger, Dan over at The Food In My Beard, and Easter seemed like a good enough excuse.  The recipe was inspired by an episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia where Frank simultaneously eats and gets drunk via a rum-soaked ham.  We felt it only proper to watch that and a few more episodes while eating our meal.  The Rum Ham was a HUGE hit, and our guests brought some other kick-ass sides.  Needless to say, we were all stuffed!  Not bad for a last-minute get together!  I only wish I had remembered to take a few "before pictures" of our spread.

The after...... RUM HAM!!!

I closed out the evening watching The Walking Dead season finale.  Jesus is kind of the world's most famous Zombie (get it? he rose from the dead!...) so it seemed fitting.  Season three ended much more poignantly than season two.  I really missed watching it with my late-night crew in the conference room in Puerto Rico.  At least my friend, Chris and I were able to chat online while it aired.  It's always fun to banter about the scenes with someone.

It was a great way to end the day, and a great day to end the month.  February and March have been a little emotionally dodgy for me.  This month I especially slacked on my blog.  In April I'd like to do better, and I'm challenging myself to write every day.  And if not on every day, then encompassing every day.  I think April going to be a better month filled with excitement...and not just because of my birthday ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment