Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

For Those About To Rock


I’m not the kind of person who usually puts myself at the center of attention.  My introverted tendencies make me more inclined to find a quiet spot with a good book.  When I do go out, I’m more comfortable in small groups with people I know well instead of interacting with large groups of acquaintances.  However, when someone suggests karaoke night, I’m the first jump on board.  

Saturday night, Samantha and I met a bunch of people at Loosey’s, a bar downtown, to sing a few songs.  By the time we got there, the place was already packed.  We each grabbed a beer and met our friends at a table in the back.  I took a few drinks from my pint glass of liquid courage before handing the DJ my song requests.  The thing about karaoke is that song choice is critical.  Now is not the time to sing some weepy Savage Garden slow jam to your girlfriend.  You bore me with that shit.  Get out there with a kick ass song, and I don’t care if you sound like Frank Sinatra or William Hung.  If you really bring it, I’m going to cheer like hell for you. 

It seemed like forever, but my turn finally came.  I stepped onto the stage, microphone in hand.  Nervousness and excitement raged against each other.  The screen in front of me noted the instrumental intro, and I waited for my cue.  At the precise moment I spoke slyly into the mic, “Once upon a time, not so long ago…” What followed was probably my best-ever rendition of Bon Jovi’s Living on a Prayer.  My hand holding the mic was slightly shaky, but I don’t think anyone noticed.  The crowd, larger than I had ever sang in front of before, cheered.  The song faded out and I climbed off stage, strangers high-fiving me as I walked back to our table.   I was on the biggest karaoke high of my life.  The feeling returned as I sang Basket Case by Green Day, which brought half a dozen people to their feet dancing near the stage.

I’m never going to be a contestant on American Idol, nor do I have any ambition to be one really.  But I am a pretty damn good singer.  Few things have made me feel as good about myself as singing does.  I miss being part of a top-notch choir, and hopefully I’ll be somewhere long enough that I can join one again soon.  And once, just once, I want to say that I sang with a band.  I think that would be the adrenaline high of a lifetime for me.  But for now, I’ll keep bringing down the house, one karaoke night at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment