Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Never Too Old For LEGOs

Might as well just say it; LEGOs are fucking awesome.  They always have been and always will be.  Growing up, I'm pretty sure my brother and I had the largest collection out of any of our friends, amassing new sets every birthday and Christmas.  After a long hiatus, my mom decided to give both of us small sets in our stockings this year for funsies.  Mine is a little girl driving a little car.  Mom said it made her think of the Jeep I rented for my solo adventure in Puerto Rico.  Finding the little set reminded me of so many Christmases from years ago and made me smile.

Tonight, I finally tore that bad boy open to assemble it.  Now that I think about it, I'm disappointed in myself for not doing it Christmas morning!  What was I thinking?!  I guess the adult in me was distracted by my new big kid toy, my own GPS, and the LEGOs got brushed into a pile of things to bring back to Florida. But I found them today after cleaning my room and decided I had waited long enough.

I nestled into the living room chair and tore open the package with anticipation.  When I dumped the contents onto the ottoman, 32 tiny plastic pieces clinked together creating an unmistakable sound.  The instructions were folded into a little square, and I opened it like it was an eight-step treasure map.  My eyes widened as I dug through the pile to find the right pieces. A familiar feeling of delight washed over me.  I built the frame on the chassis, attached the windshield and grill, and snapped all four wheels into place with a satisfying "click" then took a moment to admire my creation.  And of course the test drive down the arm of the chair was wildly successful.

For the rest of the night, I idly rolled the car from place to place. I'd walk to another room still holding it and drive it across the wall.  It became almost subconscious and soothing.  There are some things that I will never feel to old to enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment